My favourite food is Italian, anything with pasta, tomato and cheese I just love, but unfortunately my crazy condition does not allow me to eat these things, so I decided to create something that could fill my nutcracker cheeks with happiness, without leaving me looking like a puffy beast afterwards.
I have created a lasagna dish, free from everything. The flavours worked well together and satisfied my cravings. I have added chicken to the sauce, but only at the very end, so if you are vegetarian, just leave the chicken out and the flavours will still work together nicely. The parsnip sauce tasted really creamy with the dish and was definitely a good white sauce and cheese replacement.
Ingredients – lasagna red sauce
- 1 red onion chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves put through a squeezer
- small chunk of ginger chopped finely
- 1/4 of a courgette (zucchini) chopped finely
- half a carrot chopped finely
- 1 beetroot peeled and chopped
- 3/4 of butternut squash peeled and chopped
- small cluster of fresh thyme chopped finely
- small amount of rosemary chopped finely
- 2 chicken thighs
- coconut oil (odourless)
- rock salt
- 2 courgettes (zucchini) sliced into thin lasagna sheets
Put the chicken thighs in a dish with some coconut oil and salt and put in the oven on gas mark 5 and cook for around 50 minutes. In the meantime heat up the coconut oil in a pan, then add the onion garlic, ginger, salt, fresh herbs and fry for around 5 minutes until the flavours come through, Then add in all the rest of the vegetables, except the lasagna sheets and fry for another 10 minutes, then add around half a cup of water and let simmer for around 40 minutes. Then put 3/4 of the sauce in the blender and blend until smooth, then add back in the pan with the rest of the mixture. Once the chicken is cooked, then take out of oven and cut it into pieces and add it to the sauce, if vegetarian then just leave it out.
Ingredients – white sauce
- 6 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 3 duck eggs
- 6 tablespoons of water
- chunk of coconut oil (odourless)
Boil the parsnips until soft, then put in a blender along with the duck eggs, coconut oil and water and blend until smooth.
Putting the lasagna together
Put a layer of the red sauce on the bottom of the dish, followed by a thin layer of the white sauce, then put a layer of the pasta sheets down, then repeat the process twice until you end with a layer of the white, then sprinkle with chopped chives and put in the oven for around an hour on gas mark 5 and then serve with salad.
- 1/4 chopped cucumber
- half a sweetcorn sliced from the core
- 2 thin rings of red onion chopped
- chopped chives
- 1 pear sliced length ways
- chopped beetroot stalks
- olive oil
Mix all the ingredients together and it’s ready to serve with the lasagna