Lately I have been craving a nice juicy chicken sandwich to plunge my beak into and after the waffle scenario, it got me thinking that I could use the same batter and create a flat style bread that I could then slice into sandwich bread. Bizarrely not only did it work but it satisfied my chicken sandwich cravings and set me on the road to spinning joy. I again used the tigernut flour, but still only half a tablespoon, but instead you could use any other low histamine grain free flour like cassava, chestnut, water chestnut (which is nut free despite it’s name), or if you tolerate grains then any gluten free flour like rice, sorghum , or corn, you could even add a little bit of each.
Chicken sandwich with onions, sweet potato chips and mixed salad with dressing.
Chicken – Ingredients
- 1 chicken thigh
- coconut oil (odourless)
- half onion, cut into thin rings
How to make
Put the oven on to gas mark 5, then place the chicken on a metal or glass dish, add the herbs, coconut oil, salt and onion rings. Cook for around an hour, mixing everything in the juices around 20 minutes into the cooking. When cooked, the chicken can then be broken up into pieces and then put in the sandwich, along with the onions.
Bread – Ingredients
- 5 large parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 duck eggs
- half tablespoon of tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup water
- half tablespoon coconut oil
How to make
Boil the parsnips until soft, then add to a blender with the eggs, salt, water and coconut oil and blend for about a minute until smooth. Then get a tray out and spread some grease proof paper over it, then pour the mixture over it and spread it out over the paper evenly until it looks like a a wet flat pizza base. Cook on gas mark 5 for around 30 mins, or until cooked through and golden brown, then take out and wait for it to cool, then slice into around 4 pieces for the bread slices, then gently scoop off with a spatular, fill with the chicken, onion rings and salad with the dressing on, then slice in half .
Salad – Ingredients
- 3 lettuce leaves chopped finely
- 1 thin onion ring chopped finely
- half a celery stalk chopped finely
- 1/4 of a apple chopped finely
- raw beetroot peeled and sliced into thin quarters
- handful of parsley
Salad dressing – ingredients
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic put through a garlic squeezer
- very finely chopped fresh basil
- very finely chopped fresh oregano
- pinch of salt
- half a juiced medium sweet apple (instead of vinegar)
Added ingredients if tolerated
- 1 teaspoon of either raw honey or maple syrup (both low histamine)
- squeeze of lemon instead of apple juice (lemon is not low histamine so I do not add it and i’m sensitive to honey and maple syrup as well, even though they are low in histamine, so I do not add them either, but everyone is different in what they tolerate so may be fine)
How to make
Mix all the ingredients together (and added ingredients if tolerated) and then let it sit for around 20 minutes until all the flavours come through, then pour over the salad and enjoy the meal.